Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Precious Little Hooligans!

Having a 1 and a 2 year old in the house can make for some very interesting times.  One evening after an extremely LONG parenting day my husband said, "I LOVE my kids, but I just don't like them right now!" --LOL-- Ever known that feeling?!

My one year old, Madison, is now crawling and standing wherever she can pull herself up.  I've even caught her being a little monkey trying to crawl up furniture!  YIKES!  It seems like it was over night that she turned into my little adventure/risk taker.  She has a very sweet personality - as long as she doesn't crawl on a toy or get upset because she can't have something her big brother is playing with!  She just started to get VERY vocal talking so loudly that I now put my finger on her mouth and with some exasperation say "SHHH!"

My two year old, Ethan, is going through what I can only describe as the "terrible twos!"  Ethan has always been an incredible sleeper.  Up until 2 weeks ago he was still sleeping close to 12 hours at night plus taking 2 naps a day.  This really helped me keep my sanity as a mom :)  However, now that Ethan has turned 2 he is getting up at 5 a.m., not even sleepy until 9 p.m., and only taking one nap a day.  The sudden and drastic change in his sleeping behavior just seemed to come in the blink of an eye giving me no time to be prepared for having him up all day!  He is also starting to scream and cry when we put him to bed.  That is something else we have never dealt with (at least not on an extreme level).  It is so-o hard with me being pregnant and having to keep my feet elevated at night because of the pain!  Poor Jon has had to deal with a good majority of this "not willing to sleep" problem :(

Then there is the disobedience and temper that is a constant battle ALL day.  I am completely worn out by the time Jon gets home around 5:30 p.m.  Jon and I have actually been in tears praying for our little boy.  I NEVER thought my child would act the way he does!  We try so hard to instill first-time obedience, but I know that in my chronic state of fatigue/exhaustion that we are not always up to par.  WOW, do we NEED the Lord's strength and help in raising children, especially this child!  He is VERY stubborn and willful.   Wondering which one of his parents are like that?  W-e-l-l, I would have to say both of us :)  As a mom I am thankful that I have some of this stubbornness because it is needed to win the "clash" of wills.

Something my very Godly mom has told me many times is NEVER let the child win the battle!  We as parents need to be the one to guide and direct our children.  Our children should not be dictating everything we (and many times everyone else) do.  I do know that making choices to prevent problems from happening is wise.  If I know that Ethan is really struggling with his attitude I may choose not to go out with him that day.--This is not compromising when you make choices like this.  It is choosing your battle!  There are some things I just do not let bother me now because I KNOW that I have enough battles brought to me during the day that I don't need to make an issue out of something else.  I think the more children I have the more I realize that being a "laid back" parent is not ALWAYS bad.  Making sure that my child is obedient is much more important than whether his toys are all over the living room floor :)  My perfectionism still creeps in every once in a while, but for the most part I've learned not to let things that are really just "preferences" bother me.  Life is too short to be nit picky with my kids!!!

Both Jon and I absolutely LOVE our kids!  We know that all the "work" involved in training our children is definitely worth it!  Those who choose not to have large family's may not have all the tiredness and difficulties, but they certainly don't get to reap all the rewards and blessings either!  I am extremely thankful for my children and for the one still inside me.  I AM blessed!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I SOOO know how you guys feel!! There are times when I say to myself, though I've never been honest enough to say it out loud, that I don't "like" my children all the time. :-) Thanks for sharing because it's good to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with the day-to-days of parenting. I've been pretty discouraged lately with the battles I have to fight on a constant basis (even when I'm choosing my battles carefully) with my first born. He has a very strong will, and I do find myself thinking, "I never thought MY kids would be like this!" Ha ha! Just a constant reminder that I must have God's grace poured out daily! Thanks Amber! Praying for you through this pregnancy!

The Cline Family said...

The strong will must be a first born thing!!! I am praying for you too. I KNOW that you have your hands full! Your kids look sooo cute!

Wendy said...

I hear you as well :) I think all mom's have those moments and Josiah is our stronger willed child thus far. Some days he can be an angel and other days I feel like I've really been on a battle field and sometimes my living room looks like it too :)
Your mom is right, parents must win the battle because we are preparing them to be submissive to God. Teaching them to obey us is training for them to obey God. We may go to bed exhausted but I just look at it as "that was a successful day!" because if I wasn't exhausted then maybe I'm just not doing my job as a mom!
Hope you are able to get some good rest, and Ethan a well! Love you guys!

Matt and Emily Sealy said...

Ha! I think every mother of young children can "Amen" this post. We all have those days where you are beyond frustrated at how your children have been acting. I often look back with shame on how "high and mighty" I used to be (before I had children, of course) when I would look at a kid misbehaving and think to myself, "MY children will never do that!" Ahh... I was so naive! It is true that you must pick your battles. And we can't put ourselves down for how our children act. We must do our part in training them according to God's Word, but we do have to remember that, no matter how cute and adorable they are, they are still sinners in need of a Savior!
I am happy I found your blog a couple weeks ago. I enjoy reading it! Miss you, Amber, and I am praying for you and your family!
Emily

Post a Comment