Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crafts and Projects for February


Making practical curtains cute!
 I bought some "black-out" curtains that will help keep Madison's room from becoming so hot/cold and keep her room darker for nap time.  I bought these plain, brown-paneled curtains inexpensively and on sale at Target.  I knew that practical, heavy-duty curtains like this just didn't do much for the "looking good factor"  of her room.  So I got out my ribbon and got creative!  I added ribbon tabs to the top to give it a little more length and personality, stripes of ribbon to dress it up, and ribbon bows to give it kind of a girlie, boutique look.  Now it just needs a good, last ironing!

In Need of the Iron!
NO, I haven't done the final ironing yet!--Sorry, Mom :)

The Love Coupon Holder

I was trying to make my husbands Valentine's Day special without going out and buying something.  Believe me this was a HUGE hit!  I found some free coupon's that I could print off, and I filled in the blank with things like: back scratch, one hour of uninterrupted time (this is a big deal with little kids around!), a morning of fishing, one thing of your choice, etc.  I saved the best coupon for last, "a round of golf", and I put it in his Valentine's card which I gave to him later.  He can use his "love" coupons whenever he wants. 


I wanted to make some kind of a holder that I could hang in a place that would remind my "hard-working man" of  my love :)  I got out some left-over scrap booking material, and made this little pocket holder.  Then I kissed my black ink pad and smooched all over the red heart!  Ha ha!!!  This is just the right size to put above the light switch in our bedroom where Jon can see my "heart-pocket" and know that if he needs some "time to relax" he's got opportunity!  Ideally I would love to just get a baby sitter, and go golfing or whatever with him, but since we can't do that the next best thing is being willing to watch the kids while he gets a fun break!
Newborn beanie with button-bow


I made this as a gift for a friend who just recently had her 8th baby.  I wanted to do something a little different to add pizazz so I added a button-bow to the crocheted hat.  The bow can be taken off and used as a hair bow. 

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Great job on the curtains!! They look great! And I love the lil hat! SO cute!

Amber Ranew said...

I love all of that!! You are so creative and crafty. Love the curtains!!

Wendy said...

I adore the idea for the curtains! Emma has purple blackout curtains & this is a great idea! The beanie is of course, so adorable!

The Cline Family said...

Those of you who like the curtains:

Here is the secret!!!--Use Gold n' Bond on the ribbon. This is my new, best friend in the crafting world! It is very inexpensive, and you can find it in the sewing section. I didn't even measure where the ribbon would go! You can just "eye" it. Iron the gold n' bond unto the ribbon, and iron the ribbon unto the fabric! Anyone can do this project! It ends up wonderful, and is so fun and easy to use.

So enjoy your new curtain project!

P.S. It is probably best to reinforce the tabs at the top of the curtain with some hand sewing. Especially if you have little kids.

Matt and Emily Sealy said...

I concur in that the curtains are SO cute! I have brown black-out curtains very similar to your in my girls' room. I am so not a craft or sew type of person, but you make it sound so easy! I might just try it!
Emily

Marsha said...

Love it all, Amber!! Your Valentine idea was adorable! :-)

Post a Comment