Wednesday, March 9, 2011

From Crib to Toddler Bed

I know that I am not the first or the last mom to enjoy having a  2 year old.  But, I just have to say I get more chuckles out of Ethan as he grows!  With Ethan I find myself enjoying the 2 year old stage so much.  There are so many things that make me laugh.  I could probably list a dozen (as I am sure most mom's can!)  But, I'll just stick with telling about my son's transition from crib to toddler bed.

 Ethan transitioned to a toddler bed in one day.  (His crib literally fell apart!)  Now we took that as a sign that we should just purchase a cheap toddler bed from Wal-Mart.  And that very day Jon purchased it and put it together.  Ready or not at 26 months that boy was just gonna HAVE to learn to sleep in a bed.  Well, he did so well even though we had no time to prepare him for it.  I wish everyone could have seen the proud glow on his face when Jon got the whole bed put together and Ethan figured out what he was getting!  He immediately laid down on it and just kept beaming up at us :)  He was supremely happy.

I could just see the wheels in Ethan's head turning.  He was thinking of how he now had a bed just like mommy and daddy's.  And to think of how concerned Jon and I were that Ethan would NEVER stay in bed at night!  Well, it was the start of an amazing friendship between a 2 year old boy and his very own big boy bed.  I mean he even kissed that bed!  Not in a million years would Jon and I have guessed that he would so willingly give up his cherished crib.  Obviously we were SO wrong!  Now Ethan did fall through the broken spindles a couple times and get stuck half way through the crib.  Maybe that aided in his excitement to have a real bed.--I don't know, but I am so thankful to the Lord for the easy transition!

Immediately when nap time came along I put Ethan in his new bed.  He quickly laid down with a big grin on his face.  Still as proud as ever.  I was astonished at how easy this change to the new bed was going.  However it only took one nap time for that "little stinker" to figure out that he had the "reign of the room"!  Although I'm not too concerned about him sleeping as much as him having a "quiet time."  After all this pregnant momma needs some rest :)  So after what I considered a good nap time I went to get my big boy up. 

As I opened the door to his room I could see a little boy sitting on the ground with ALL his books surrounding him.  Quick as a flash that boy flies across the floor (a little like superman)  and dives into his toddler bed!  It was very comical.  What makes me giggle is that I don't really care what he does in his room as long as he is quiet!  But, I am not going to be the one to tell him that.  We just continue to play our little game of me looking surprised and him doing his run/dive into bed!  What can I say?  It is just FUN!  We don't have trouble with him doing this at night time cause his room is dark, and we make sure that he is "tuckered out."  This fun time during the day is a moment that Ethan and I enjoy.  I know that time is short and this stage won't last forever.  As a mom I want to cherish the moment for soon there will come a time...

1 comments:

Wendy said...

Cute :) Emma transitioned to a real bed around 17 months and she was never a problem. Stayed in bed from the start...until now :) We plan to transition Josiah here within the next week or two and I'm not convinced it will be so easy. It will be the first time since having Emma that the crib won't be up! *tear!* Going through all these new adventures with kids is so fun isn't it?

Post a Comment