Thursday, May 24, 2012

Madison and the Bugs

 Family devotions the other night was about the 10 plagues.  Jon couldn't get through reading the story without Madison pointing to the pictures and shrieking "Ick the bugs, ick the bugs!"  That poor girl has no hope :)  She just can't get over the bugs!  It has been an ongoing saga with her and the bugs since she was able to say the word "bug."  And if you are around to witness an unlucky bug flying on her arm, around her face, or anywhere remotely near her than you will see hysteria in every sense of the word!  Flailing, crying, and screaming like the mortally wounded are all things that may be a part of the scene.  I don't condone my 2 year olds shrieks.  However I do remember my own terror of bugs and I have a sympathetic heart for her fear of them.  Lately in an attempt to help Madison I have tried to get her interested in watching them.  I've even let an ant crawl on me, told her about how "cute" they can be, and said SO many times "It is JUST a bug!"  But no matter how I try to downplay the existence of bugs there always seems to be a repeat of her uncontrolled frenzy when one is around.  Madison is such a girly kind of girl.  She loves "pretty" things, and apparently bugs just don't fall into that category.

I had a good laugh a while back.  I asked Madison if her shirt (which was a little too big) was bugging her.  I was doing her hair at the time, and I couldn't figure out why she started crying, wailing, and carrying on after that.  Finally she started sobbing "buggies, buggies" and pulling at her shirt.  I realized then that her interpretation of what I said was that bugs were on her shirt!  Weeks later she was STILL calling bugs "buggies" because of that one question.  I don't laugh at her fear, but I do see the humor in it all!  I love my "bug-icky" little girl, and someday I know that she will arise to the occasion and learn to calmly deal with the bugs.  Until then we will deal with the drama one bug at a time!











1 comments:

nonentity said...

Poor thing! Thankfully, that's what daddies and big brothers are for :)

Post a Comment